Fall is quickly upon us, which means there will be lots of great seasonal produce that is perfect for healthy and nutritious cooking. On cool nights we all crave those hearty comfort foods, that are always packed with fat and calories. This beef and butternut stew is a great for fall ( or winter) and is comforting but nutritious at the same time. Just set it in your slow cooker, go about your day, and you’ll have a delicious meal waiting for you when you come home!
Low-Fat Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
- 3/4 pound lean stewing beef, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces whole baby carrots
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
1. Brown beef in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Put to one side.
2. Peel and halve butternut squash, then cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces. You can make this step easier by piercing and microwaving the whole squash for about 1 minute before cutting.
3.Place vegetables and browned beef in a 4 or 5 quart crock pot. Add crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and oregano. Cook on low for 8 hours